Saturday, August 16, 2014

Chicken Sausage and Quinoa and Brown Rice Quick Skillet Dinner

Last night, I was in a quandry about what to make for supper.  We eat a lot, and I mean, a lot of chicken breast dishes, like 5 times a week, so I really was not in the mood for chicken.  I was standing in front of my open refrigerator door, staring blankly at its contents (as I am wont to do on occasion. Okay, more than on occasion, more like every night, trying to decide what to make), when I realized that I had a package of chicken sausage (I know, technically it's still chicken but at least it's in a different form),  hidden in the back of the cold cut drawer.  I didn't hide it there on purpose but things in my frig have a tendency to crawl to the back and molder,  for some strange reason.

Anyway, I pulled out the sausage, it had not yet grown legs or teeth, so it didn't put up much of a fight,  and set it on my counter.  "What do you want to go along with you?"  I asked it.  I do talk to my food, sometimes.  It hasn't yet answered, but I haven't given up hope.  True to form, the sausage stayed silent on the subject so I was left on my own. 

I didn't want to spend a lot of prep time on supper.  After all, I have better things to do, like take a nap, or maybe watch paint dry.  So back into the frig for some mushrooms, celery, and green peppers. They had not crawled to the back of the frig but only because they were trapped in the veggie drawer.  I also grabbed garlic and a package of that 90 second microwave rice, some red hot pepper flakes, and creole seasoning I bought because my local store was out of Adobo.

So, chop, chop, slice slice, I cut up all the ingredients, including the chicken sausage, popped it into my skillet with some olive oil and voila!, instant (almost) supper.  I added the quinoa and rice last, just to warm it up.

It was pretty good, if I do say so myself and took less than thirty minutes from blank stare to table.  I'm including the recipe, minus pictures because we ate it too fast for pictures, just in case you'd like to try it yourself.


 Chicken Sausage and Quinoa(pronounced kin-wa) and Brown Rice Quick Skillet Dinner  Serves 3, unless your really hungry, then only 2

1 package Alfresco Smoked Andouille Chicken Sausage
1 package Seeds of Change Quinoa and Brown Rice (microwave kind)
1/2 green pepper, slice
1 medium onion, sliced
1 stalk celery, chopped
3 cloves garlic, minced
Creole seasoning and red hot pepper flakes to taste
fresh ground black pepper
olive oil

Saute the onions, peppers, and celery in the olive oil until just tender.  Add garlic and chicken sausage, adding a bit more olive oil, if necessary.  Saute until chicken sausage is warmed, the sausage is already fully cooked, so warming is all that's necessary.  Add the package of rice with water, as instructed in the package directions, and cook for a few minutes.
Serve with your favorite veggie, we had corn on the cob,   and maybe some garlic bread.

This is a quick and easy supper and it's pretty healthy as well.  Enjoy!

11 comments:

  1. Sounds yummy and quick to make, too! Bet you'll make this dinner again!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
    2. It was tasty and I will certainly be making it again.

      Delete
  2. Wow! Sounds delicious and innovative. And healthy as well. Your writing style is very amusing. I like to read entertaining blogs like this one ;) Keep 'em coming.
    Anna

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Anna. It was pretty good and I will certainly make it again.

      Delete
  3. How wonderful to share this recipe, Nancy. It sounds right up my alley, especially since it uses quinoa and other tasty, healthy ingredients (I'm in love with quinoa). Will definitely give this a try soon. Am glad you stared into your refrigerator. I do that a lot, but mine is usually pretty empty . . . (:

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love quinoa, too. But the first time I cooked it I thought it was infested with tiny worms! It had these tiny little spiral things coming out of each piece. Then I researched it and discovered that that is how it's supposed to look. What a relief!

      Delete
  4. No pictures is okay. It sounds really yummy as I imagined it, lol. I'm so going to try it but maybe have the rice on the side since I always have rice on most of my meals. Thanks for the recipe!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your welcome! Hope you enjoy it. I added the rice right to the rest so I wouldn't have any more dishes to wash. Always a plus!

      Delete
  5. I am laughing because just a little bit ago I realized I hadn't taken anything out for dinner. I was going through the freezer wondering what would thaw out quickly and guess what I found? A pack of chicken sausage! I may have to give this recipe a try tonight, maybe with some quick brown rice and dehydrated vegetable bits!

    ReplyDelete